This is a re-post of the updated Tanking Page. The page will be updated as changes happen.
Dragon Knight Tank – 3.0 (6/30/2016)
My current setup is “strictly” a trials set up – that being said, it still works for four man dungeons and the like.
5 piece Tava’s Favor
5 piece Ebon
2 piece Bloodspawn
I want all armor pieces reinforced, particularly because these sets do not offer any sort of mitigation – except in there bonus procs. My weapons are defending. Jewelry is how it comes. All enchantments are into stamina, likewise, all armor ability points. My jewelry enchantments are for magika recovery, and my weapons are absorb stamina.
The idea here is to be able to a) tank anything thrown at me and b) gain ultimate like a boss and blow on my warhorn all night long. Along with DK passives, this build is made for sustain, damage mitigation and major group support.
Bar One – Sword & Shield
– Ransack : Our main taunt – Changed from pierced armor due to its ability to cancel Elemental Drain, which ultimately will/can hurt magika DPS. Still offers physical resistance debuff (ED will give you the spell resist debuff), plus gives an buff to your own physical resistance. Not optimal for 4 man dungeons if no one is running ED – though it will still get you through. Optimal team set up is tank with Ransack and someone running ED.
– Unrelenting Grip : Our general purpose pull for getting distant enemies close. Also can work as an interrupt, for example distant healers.
– Choking Talons : Along with Unrelenting Grip, our bread and butter crowd control skill. Even on bosses, this skill is important because it inflicts minor maim, reducing their damage by 15% for 7 seconds. It also
– Absorb Magika : Damage shield – useful most against spell throwing enemies (will block and heal you), but also useful because it increases the amount of blocking you are able to do, as well as decreases blocking cost – both by 8%
– Resolving Vigor (flex) : Excellent stamina based heal and heal over time – a must have for any stamina based class, tanks included. This is also my flex spot on my front bar – typically I do not need a heal (I am surrounded by wonderful healers, plus I’m a tank and have good mitigation). I generally keep this on my bar as a just in case. It also helps in situations where everyone is taking a lot of damage at once (Sanctum poison, Fungal Grotto final boss) just to give the healer some help.
Ultimate : Aggressive Warhorn – Boosts everyone’s resources by jor 10%, and provides Major Force for 9.5 seconds – increasing critical strike damage by 30%. This is HUGE, particularly for boss encounters. This is your most important skill besides taunting. Everything you do goes into making this happen every 45 seconds or so.
Bar Two – Sword & Shield
– Inner Fire (or Rage) : Our ranged, and magika based, taunt. Sometimes feels broken, but a necessary skill to have. It is not necessary to morph this – and because of the synergy of the morph, ask your raid leader if he/she wants it morphed or not. Technically this is also a flex skill, for example I will slot Eruption here instead at times, but typically I just keep it on my bar.
– Igneous Shield / Igneous Weapons (flex) : A lot of tanks are simply dumping igneous weapons due to the fact that most dps are running some sort of Major Brutality buff – plus, Igneous Shield gives us tanks, and those around us, a small damage shield to help with mitigation. For trials, I would say run Igneous Shields UNLESS told otherwise by the raid leader. For dungeons, I’d say the same unless no one has a buff for Major Brutality. The simple truth is you should not really need the shield in any of the dungeons, though it does not hurt. Also, because of the Helping Hands passive, both of these will restore 5% of stamina every time you hit it.
– Heroic Slash : Our back bar source of Minor Maim as well as Minor Heroism – granting us more ultimate gain. Remember that the main purpose of this build beyond simply tanking is ultimate gain for Warhorn.- Elude/Shuffle : Preference is yours, they both give Major Evasion – helping you proc Tava’s Favor. If you are not running a 5-1-1 for Undaunted passives, Shuffle is ultimately better because it will get you out of snares. if you are running a piece of medium armor for the 5-1-1, Elude will give you a slightly longer up time. I would normally say just go with Shuffle.
– Hardened Armor : Our major physical and spell resistance buff. Hardened Armor also gives damage shield for 10% of your max health for 3.5 seconds.
Ultimate : Magma Shell – Major damage mitigation ultimate for yourself and allies, also useful to help with resource management over Warhorn because of the lower cost.
Eruption : Crowd control for multiple mobs, radius is 5 meters. So its small, but it is effective. Also provides a small DoT.
Coagulating Blood : Magic based heal, which also increases your healing received. I prefer this over Greens Dragon Blood because I do not benefit from the extra stamina regeneration while I am blocking.
Engulfing Flame : Provides a debuff to enemies causing them to take more damage from flame damage. Typically a Magika DK DPS will be running this. Noxious Breath is not preferred because Major Fracture is already being applied by Ransack.
Standard of Might : (Ultimate)
Champion Points –
Green – I put at least 75 points into Reduce Block Cost (Shadow Ward – The Shadow), everything else goes into Magika Recovery. If you recovery is over 1600, you can put some into Reduced Magika Cost or into Reduced Block Cost.
Red – I put 60/60 into Hardy and Elemental Defender. I put the rest into Heavy Armor Focus and Quick Recovery. (HA Focus to give my physical resistance a little buff)
Blue – The real flex – I put some points into Blessed incase I need to heal myself, the rest is preference.
Some Important Notes:
– Do not worry about getting your resistances well above cap – Ransack will help with physical, and Blood Spawn will proc, giving you more then you need.
– Ensure your buffs – Violatile Armor and Shuffle are up at all times. Luckily, there are on screen indicators – Shuffle makes you look invisible, Volatile Armor puts spikes on your back.
– Make sure when switching bars – you will be doing this alot – it is safe to do so! Though you may be holding block, when you bar swap you are vulnerable.
– No need to over taunt – it wastes stamina (or magika). They last for 15 seconds. Safe bet is to taunt every 10 seconds or so, and make sure you taunt befor swapping bars to buff.
– Heoric Slash is a major resource for ultimate gain, as well as minor maim, do not forget about it. However, if you are low on stamina, just hit choking talons for the minor maim and concentrate on Shuffle – it is of more importance.
– Warhorn is the most important ultimate you have slotted, but if you do need resources, or increased mitigation, do not be afraid to use Magma Shell.
I would like to thank all the tanks in University and Eternum (ESO Guilds – PS$/NA) for all of their input.
Thanks to all who ran vICP last night for the Gold Pledge run:
J4LYFE (Healer) and KujoAlpha1 (DPS) who unfortunately had to leave early.
ODBUnlimited (DPS) who was there from the beginning, MightyHus007 (DPS) and Vaultamour (Healer) who came in to help finish the dungeon off.
This video is from the Tank PoV (jzhnutz). The idea, from the tanking perspective, is to keep the aggro of Lord Warden on the tank at all times – especially in hard mode where there are a lot of other factors that can hurt the other players in the group. With this particular fight, jzhnutz decided to tank mainly from his back bar. The tank is wearing 5 piece Tava’s favor, 5 piece Footman and 2 piece Blood Spawn. The idea behind this build is to gain as much ultimate as possible quickly for two reasons – a) for resource managment and b) for Warhorn. The tank uses a ranged taunt instead of pierce armor because Lord Warden teleports himself frequently. For this fight Aggressive Warhorn is chosen as the ultimate for two reasons – a) high ultimate cost = more resource return and b) for the Major Force passive, granting 30%increase in critical strike damage for allies.
The build itself is based off of Deltias Gaming’s Talon Tank with some slighr modifications.
Last night the veteran pledge was once again Banished Cells. A really easy dungeon to complete and speed through. We ended up running it twice – the first time jzhnutz and KujoAlpha1 were on DPS, J4LYfE was on heals, and we had SergeantPink join us as tank. On our second run through, we had our normal group – jzhnutz as tank, J4LYFE and TeddyT94 as DPS and KujoAlpha1 as healer.
Tonight the veteran pledge is City of Ash, and this will be our first attempt with an actual dedicated healer in our group. We had ran before, unsuccessfully – the healer we had needed to leave once we got to the Ash Titan.
Unfortunately TeddyT94 will not be able to run with us tonight, so we will have a guest DPS.
DPS: TeddyT94 starring as MzJulz421
This was our first time running Spindleclutch on veteran as a group. All in all a good run, KujoAlpha1 even got a Blood Spawn helmet to drop!
We also ran the normal pledge for today – Darkshade Caverns
Tomorrow we will not be running the normal Undaunted Pledge. We will be focusing solely on the veteran pledge which is Imperial City Prison. This will be our first attempt as a group, and for most of us, our first attempt period. Normally we begin our dungeon runs between 7:30 and 8pm EST, tomorrow, however, we plan to begin between 6-6:30 EST. Please feel free to watch us live stream the run on our YouTube Channel.
TeddyT94 couldn’t join us for the Undaunted Dailies, but 3/4 of the crew was able to run both the normal pledge at Crypt of Hearts and then have a pretty quick run in Banished Cells on veteran. Thanks to DGSMITH1988 for joining us!
Also, both TeddyT94 and jzhnutz complete Maelstrom Arena on normal mode. You can watch jzhnutz run Maelstrom Arena Here.
DPS/Off Healer: KujoAlpha1